If you are looking into online dating, there is a void in your life somewhere, for whatever reason. Before you start, make sure your own house is in order. One of the most attractive attributes on any person is self-confidence. Here's some tips to make yourself the best you can be, for that someone special, but mostly for you. Know thyself, like thyself.
We can categorize self-improvement into three different areas: body, mind, and spirit (soul).
- If you smoke, QUIT!
- Exercise -- Make yourself do it. You don't have to do a lot, just do it every day. You don't have to join a gym. Buy some weights and a jump rope. You don't need expensive exercise tapes. Walk. The basics -- jumping jacks, jumping rope, situps/crunches, pushups, leg lifts, stretching (everyone remembers gym class). Ten minutes with the weights. You can do this watching TV. Not only will you lose weight, you'll gain muscle, (which replaces fat and prevents bone disease), you'll feel better about yourself; you'll be in a better mood. Just do it.
- Teeth -- a great smile will make an average-looking individual beautiful. Get your teeth whitened. Floss. Check out cosmetic dentistry.
- Breath -- Number one turnoff. Mouthwash. Mints. Whatever it takes. The Bad Breath Report.
- Plastic Surgery -- If you don't like something about your body, get it fixed. It's expensive, but it's an investment.
- Skin -- if you're getting older, you're seeing the wrinkles and the sagging. There are lotions galore -- start using them; they do help. Not smoking, drinking lots of water, and getting plenty of sleep does wonders also.
- Laser Surgery -- smoothing wrinkles, eliminating age spots, removing acne scars -- you don't have to live with this stuff anymore!
- Hair -- This can be a great feature for so many people. Get a good cut, and add color to get rid of your gray (you'll lose ten years right away).
- Facial Hair -- Trim the nose, ears, eyebrows, beard and mustache.
- Nails -- spend some time and give yourself a manicure and pedicure. This is one of those touches which give you more of a polished look. One that is easy and inexpensive.
- Take vitamins.
- Tanning -- don't do it. A golden tan looks great, but try sunless tanning. It's worth the effort. Not only are there skin cancer risks, but you will look like a prune. Just don't do it!
- Eat and drink in moderation. Think Subway, not cheeseburger (or think 1 cheeseburger, not 2.) Remember, nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.If you have an addiction to drugs or alcohol get help for yourself at a drug treatment program
- Find out what's going on in the world.
- Take a college course just to learn something, whether it be ancient civilizations, understanding the stock market, or how to start your own business.
- Take up a new hobby. Woodworking, jewelry-making, horseback riding, gardening, wine-making, martial arts, etc.
- Volunteer. Charity, political campaign, church, etc.
- Read something (besides Sports Illustrated or the latest Cosmo.)
- Learn about your religion.
- Learn about arts, wine or classical music.
- Learn a new language.
- Remember, garbage in, garbage out.
* Be positive. Focus on and emphasize your assets, not what's wrong with you.
* Pick a role model and emulate them. Stay away from negative people. Try to spend time with people you admire.
* Get outside of yourself and concentrate on others. Lift up others and serve them.
* Take the time to get to know yourself -- see if you like yourself; how you treat other people; are you comfortable with your level of integrity? Would you like you if you meat you? Would you find you interesting?
* It's said that you are who you think you are. Picture yourself the way you want to be and work toward being that person.
* Believe in yourself. Try not to worry too much about what other people think of you. If you truly like yourself, they usually will too.
* Be happy. Try not to dwell on the things which are out of your control. Do something about the things which you can.